G-8: A quick Glance
GROUP OF EIGHT COUNTRIES
ESTABLISHED DATE: November 1975 at Rambouillet, France
STARTING MEMBERS: The initial meeting at france took place between 6 countries, sometimes called G6.
· United States
· Canada joined during San Juan summit in Puerto Rica in 1976.
· European community joined during London summit, Britain, 1977. (can represent but cannot host G-8 summits or chair it.)
· European Union is represented by Eurpoean commission President and President of European council.
"THIS GROUP IS CALLED G-7 AND HOST SUMMITS."
· Russia participated initially in G-7 from 1991 then from Naples summit, Italy in 1994 Russia participated in all summits. (This group refered to as "POLITICAL-8" or P-8)
· During Denver summit, USA of these countries (G-7 + Russia) marked full particiaption of Russia in all but Financial and Economic discussions.
· 1998, Birmingham summit UK, marked full Russia participation and G-8 (Group of 8) was born.
· Kananaskis summit in Canada-2002, annonced Russia would host the 2006 summit of G-8 in 2006. Hence Russia becoming full member.
· MacroEconomic management.
· International Trade.
· Relationship with Developing countries.
· East west economic relations.
· Money Laundering.
· Nuclear Safety.
· Organized Crime.
· Sherpas-Leaders representative meet regulary to chek the progress and agenda discussions.
· Ministerial meetings throughout the year, such as of Finance, Foreign, Environment etc Ministers.
SUMMIT HOST ORDER: (Rotates in order)
· United States
· United Kingdom
Check my article on G-20 introduction